Friday, October 9, 2009

End of the Season Slaw


It's been a long, difficult summer, and all 3 of my blogs have paid the price. I thought unemployment would mean lots of time to do a variety of things, but that has not been the case. First it was garden work, then a family tragedy, then the harvest season. It's not that I wasn't cooking, or gardening, or taking care of the dogs- I was doing all of those things. There were just too many things that needed my attention, and something had to give. Since the blogs don't rot, or fill with weeds, or bark to go to the dog park, they are what gave. But things are beginning to normalize, and I am able to think about writing once more.

There will be a little change in focus for this blog. I am still thinking about local, in season foods, but will be adding nutritional information and Weight Watchers points. Chuck and I started the WW program back in mid July, and have been pleased with our success.

I made this wonderfully colorful slaw this week. It started with a phone call from a friend, telling me that there were "beautiful" turnips at a nearby produce stand. I was skeptical- how beautiful can a turnip be? But a quick trip out revealed not only beautiful turnips, but cauliflower and broccoli as well. I now have a very full vegetable drawer, and Chuck and I are chowing down on the cruciferous vegetables.

Without dressing, the slaw* is less than 1 point per cup; with a home-made Thai Peanut dressing, 2 points.

Ingredients-
1 cup each broccoli and cauliflower, washed and broken or cut into small pieces;


1 small to medium raw turnip, peeled and grated;


1/2 head red cabbage, chopped into thin strips. This head was about the size of two fists put together, and I picked it out of the garden minutes before it became salad.



1 sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped into small pieces. I like red, Chuck likes green, so this is a compromise.



1 tart apple, cored and chopped into small pieces. This is either a Cortland, Macintosh, Jonagold or Jonathon. All are nicely tart and I usually buy a mixed peck.



1/2 red onion, chopped into small pieces.
1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Sorry, no picture of these last two ingredients.
Combine all ingredients. Here it is all ready to mix



I got 9 cups of vegetables.

Per serving (1 cup):
Calories: 61
Total Fat- 2 g
Sodium 26 mg
Total Carbohydrates- 10 g
Dietary Fiber- 3 g
Sugars- 5 g
Protein- 2 g
Using the formula (Cal/50)+(Fat/12)-(fiber up to 4 grams/5), each cup of the slaw rates .79 points


I made a Thai Peanut type dressing similar to this one for this slaw. Next time I am thinking of a blue cheese vinaigrette style.

*What makes a slaw a slaw and not a salad? I know, I know, all slaws are salads, but not all salads are slaws. So what is the defining characteristic? I say the presence of cabbage, but my sister says a creamy dressing. However, pepper slaw does not have a creamy dressing. Merriam Webster Online Dictionary directs the slaw seeker to coleslaw and says "Main Entry: cole·slaw
Pronunciation: \ˈkōl-ˌsl\ Function: noun Etymology: Dutch koolsla, from kool cabbage + sla salad Date: 1794 : a salad made of raw sliced or chopped cabbage." Ha! I win!

2 comments:

Ruby said...

The pictures are gorgeous, and I did have to smile at that 'compromise pepper.' My peppers are pretty much on the ground, as they were covered with a layer of SNOW last night. (Yeah, that's way early, even for Minnesota.)

The salad looks like something I'd like a bowl of now. That's a LOT of info that you're putting into the food blog, what with nutrition values and points and such. I hope other WW people find out, and can take advantage of your work.

Did you make your slaw with the slicey-dicey thing? I have not mastered mine yet, and have second thoughts about purchasing it.

Willa said...

Nah, I chopped all those veggies by hand this time, no fancy tools. It seemed like it was going to be a small salad when I started out. I was surprised to find it added up to 9 cups! Sorry to hear about your snow. I heard at the dog park the other day that we are in for a really long cold winter.